Classic Chinese Chicken Potato Stew Recipe

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

Chicken Potato Stew Recipe
Growing up in a Peranakan family, I am inseparable with chili. Home-cook meal is incomplete without chili dishes and there would surely be at least a chili dish for every meal. Rarely will there be an exception unless someone at home is suffering from sore-throat. Inborn with a vulnerable throat, I am prone to sore-throat and this is the dish that mom would cook for me - chicken potato stew.

Do I like the dish?  I may not appreciate the dish when I was young but now I do. Simple reason, nothing tastes better than home cook food. I believe wanderers like me will agree wholeheartedly with my statement.

My little secret to curb homesickness is to warm my tummy and satisfy my taste buds with this dish. This is a healthy yet simple dish to prepare.

Ingredients
300g of chicken breast (cut into cubes, season with pepper, salt and soy sauce)
1/2 carrot (cut into cubes)
2 stalks spring onion (cut into stripes)
4 medium size potatoes (cut into cubes)
1 yellow onion (sliced)
1 tbsp of cooking oil
50ml of water
few ginger slices (optional)

Sauce
1/2 tbsp of sesame oil
2 tbsp of thick soy sauce
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
(In a bowl, mix the sesame oil, thick soy sauce, light soy sauce, salt and pepper and stir well)

Instructions
Step 1: Parboil the potatoes in salt water for approximately 7-10 minutes (light boil). Set aside for later use. Alternatively, you may bake the potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes.
Step 2: In a heated pan with cooking oil, stir fry the onion, ginger (optional), carrot, chicken slices and potatoes. Once the chicken slices are light browned, add in the sauce and water. With medium heat, simmer for 10 minutes until sauce is thicken.
Step 3: Add in the spring onion and simmer for another 2 minutes and the dish is ready.

Simple one dish meal to pair with fluffy white rice, Yum!!

Chicken Potato Stew Recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Loading...